There are some days that I wish there was a restart button I could hit. Do you know the types of days I’m talking about? A day that goes from bad to worse- real quick. Children sick. Unexpected bills. A fight with your spouse. Car problems. And the list could go on and on. When those days happen, we need a lifeline rather quickly. My lifeline is simple – scripture! Scripture is God’s word to us, and I think many of us don’t use it enough in our day. I put together a short list of ways we can do just that – grab a lifeline and meditate on God’s good word. It will help settle our soul and bring truth into our mind. Romans 15:13 says, “May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.”
Six ways to uplift your day with scripture:
- MAKE. Make art, draw, craft something creative, design some word art. I personally enjoy Scrapbook journaling. It’s hard to be depressed or angry when you are making something beautiful using God’s word. We were all made to be like our Maker. We were made to MAKE!
- POST. You can write scripture on post-it notes, on your Facebook timeline, or Instagram feed. You can also POST it on index cards, in your journal, on your refrigerator, on the bathroom mirror, or anywhere else you frequent. One of the reasons I fell in love with Pinterest is because of all the inspirational verses and scripture found there. Anytime I need to uplift my day, I can click on Pinterest and go to my :: Jesus + Bible + Verses :: board and be reminded of how much God loves me. If you need encouragement, just go here and follow me on Pinterest or my board here.
- SNAP. I love my smartphone and I really love using my camera to catch everyday moments. For the last few years, I started to use my phone to uplift my faith. I began to snap various verses I saw on social media, in my home, or in my Bible. So when I need some encouragement I simply look in my phone and am reminded of God’s faithfulness at the time I need it most.
- SHARE. Share scripture with those you love. Send a text, message, snap chat or e-mail to a friend that needs some extra love. Some days the Lord has impressed on my heart to send a loved one scripture via text or e-mail. Sharing it will not only encourage them but you as well because God’s word does not return void.
- WRITE. I know this might be a no-brainer, but when we write out scripture we are more likely to remember it. Writing a verse or an encouraging statement can uplift your mind quickly and that will help change your day.
- DECLARE. When we speak scripture out loud it resonates more in our mind than just thinking it in our thoughts. My hubby started this morning practice years ago, we call it our morning proclamations. He wrote several verses to say aloud during breakfast time to start his day off right. Then as time went on my kids would ask him what he was doing and he invited them to join him in declaring God’s word. A few years later, we can all say the verses out loud together without looking at the index cards. It is so good to declare God’s word aloud! Colossians 3:2 says, “Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth.”