Moments with Maker Devotional Week #11
Is God Good?
“The Lord is good, a strong refuge when trouble comes.
He is close to those who trust in Him.” – Nahum 1:7
Have you ever wondered, “Is God Good?” I have and probably too many times to count.
Then the Lord showed me that even when things don’t feel good in our life, it does not mean it is not good for us. The Lord can be allowing pain in my life for a purpose even bigger than me and my life. He did that in the life of Joseph. His brothers beat him and then sold him as a slave, and they deceived their father by saying Jospeh was killed by an animal tending sheep. Many years later Joseph became second in command of Egypt, the largest empire in the world at that time. When Joseph finally sees his brothers, years later, after all the pain they caused him Joseph says this, “You intended to harm me, but God intended it all for good. He brought me to this position so I could save the lives of many people” (Genesis 50:20). Amazing! Joseph knows God is good, even though so many bad things happened to him.
One of God’s many attributes is His goodness. Simply stated…GOD is GOOD.
The Lord’s attributes are as countless as the stars in the sky.
Everything He does is good. When God created the world, He saw it and it was good. Good- what a seemingly simple word, but represents so much of our Father. Jesus even said “I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd sacrifices his life for the sheep” (John 10:11).
Then the Lord asks us to do these things:
- “Hate what is wrong. Hold tightly to what is good.” (Romans 12:9b).
- “So, let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up” (Galatians 6:9).
- “And I am certain that God, who began a good work within you, will continue his work until it is finally finished on the day when Christ Jesus returns” (Philippians 1:6).
- “Fight the good fight for the true faith” (I Timothy 6:12)
- “Since everything God created is good, we should not reject any of it, but receive it with thanks” (I Timothy 4:4)
- “These teachings are good and beneficial for everyone” (Titus 3:8).
- “Taste and see that the Lord is good. Oh, the joys of those who take refuge in him!” (Psalm 34:8).
- “You intended to harm me, but God intended it all for good.” (Genesis 50:20a)
Embrace the call of His goodness in your life through His grace and walk it out daily. Not because you are good, but because He is good!
Let us long to hear these words from the Lord when we finally meet him in Heaven,
“Well done my good and faithful servant.”
Let us embrace the Lord’s goodness and then pour His goodness into other people’s lives.
Yes my friend, God is good!
If you missed any of the previous weeks of Moments with Maker Devotionals, you can find the rest HERE.
**Moments with Maker is a weekly devotional blog series from my Moments with Maker Devotional book I am preparing to publish – 365 Daily Devotionals. I will be sharing 52 devotionals with you throughout the year to encourage, build up, edify and draw you closer to the Maker of your soul.