Thank you Jesus… It is Well with My Soul

Layout 1

Do you ever have days where life is coming at you with a never-ending stream of chaos? Surely, I am not the only one. To keep my focus on the Lord and not the chaos, I have been listening on repeat over and over It Is Well by Kristene DiMarco & Bethel Music. Thank you Jesus that we can find rest and peace when we sit in His presence. When we are fighting a spiritual battle that only the Lord can fight for us, we need to rest in Him. This song gives me such peace, that all I can do is sit back and say,

It is well with my soul!

As I was listening to this beautiful song by Bethel, I had to look up the original hymn I sang at church when I was young. Horatio G. Spafford, author of the hymn It is Well with My Soul dated back to 1873. Here are a few of his beautiful stanzas from his song:

When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou hast taught me to say,
It is well, it is well with my soul.

Refrain:
It is well with my soul,
It is well, it is well with my soul.

Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,
Let this blest assurance control,
That Christ hath regarded my helpless estate,
And hath shed His own blood for my soul.

I wanted to better understand how the author penned such a beautifully eloquent song, so I started to do some research. The author Horatio Spafford went through some of the most devastating life experiences than anything else I could imagine. He lost his four daughters in an accident while attempting to go to England overseas. He lost ALL his children and his beloved wife remained alive. After the death of his children, he wrote It is Well with My Soul. They later had three more children, five years later, one of which dies of scarlet fever. Can you imagine? No, I can not. My fear can take me there quickly, but I dare not stay there. Only God knows the future, not you or I.

What gives me such hope is even though Horatio Spafford lost all his darling children, he still wrote It is Well with My Soul. He must have had a strong relationship with the Lord, to write such a significant song. His testimony of how he handled life’s darkest tragedies, that gives me hope upon hope.

No matter what trial, tragedy or circumstance life brings our way, we can cling to the Lord during the storms of this life.

When your soul seems sick with the cares of this world, call out to the Lord. Keep trusting and sing this very song, It is Well with My Soul.

It is Well with my Soul

If life is hitting you hard right now, confess your pain to the Lord.

Rest in Him.

Trust in His supreme knowledge and lean not on your own understanding.

And even when the storm is raging let us say,  It is well with my soul!

Praying for you friend.

Thank you Wunderly Photography for allowing me to use your beautiful photo. You can visit her here to see the rest of her work.

(Visited 662 times, 1 visits today)

19 comments

1. Heather @ My Overflowing Cup says:

Life is hitting us hard right now and this is one song I have been listening to a lot lately. (Kutless has a neat version).

It reminds me that the circumstances that caused Horatio to pen these lyrics were far more devastating than what my family is facing.

It also reminds me that all truly is well with my soul because of what Christ endured on the cross on my behalf.

It makes my circumstances suddenly seem so much less dire. Thanks for that reminder today, Johanna. Blessings.

• devotedtomaker says:

Heather, I am praying right now for your family and the circumstance life has you in right now. The LORD loves you friend with never-ending LOVE! May you find shelter in the shadow of His wing! Praying for you!

• Heather @ My Overflowing Cup says:

Thank you!

Just reading this brings tears to my eyes. What a loving God we have that He would allow for Sisters to meet via the internet and pray for one another.

You have blessed me with your words and your prayers. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. To God be the glory.

• devotedtomaker says:

You are so welcome! God is so faithful to meet our needs even through meeting others on the internet 🙂 God loves you so deeply! I just know God is doing amazing things in your life even in the midst of what your going through. “And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.” Romans 8:28
          Blessings sister in Christ!

2. Jennifer says:

I just love this hymn so much! And the history of it makes it all the more meaningful. Such rest and peace in His presence, indeed! Thanks so much for sharing these poignant thoughts at Grace & Truth!

3. stephanie says:

AMEN!!! i have been clinging to the bethel version of this song the past week or so but last year at this time i was preparing to sing the hymn for a luncheon at my church and so the hymn version was heavy on my heart – 6 simple words but our freedom in Christ!! it is well with my soul. loved this reminder. <3

• devotedtomaker says:

Stephanie, I totally agree! I LOVE Bethel’s version of this song as well. So thankful you were encouraged by this as well- Lord is so faithful!

4. Aimee Imbeau says:

I have done some hymn studies with my kids in the past. Knowing the stories behind the songs make the words so much more meaningful.
    “It Is Well With My Soul” is a phrase I will cling to during this storm in my life. I pray that they are words I will always hold fast to. Thank you for sharing what you have learned about the story behind it.

5. Sarah says:

I so often need to remember that It is Well with My Soul! God, giver of our life, HAS us in HIS grip… and there is no safer place to be. Thanks for this beautiful reminder!

6. Rene D says:

I clicked on your link because I LOVE this song – not knowing you were giving a history of how it was written. Hard to imagine being so content in your soul after losing a child. God is so amazing!

7. DaLynn McCoy says:

We’ve been listening to this at church recently as well. Love it!

And you are so right – no matter what, God is there. He is the Prince of Peace.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I found you on the Grace & Truth linkup at Busy Being Blessed. 🙂 Have a great weekend!

8. Whitney says:

Thank you for this reminder. This song and its story have been showing up a lot in my life lately, and each time I am reminded that I must rest in God’s grace.

Comments are closed.